11 Interesting Facts About MTN
MTN is one of the largest mobile network operator in Nigeria, as well as one of the largest in Africa.
Below are 11 (eleven) facts you never knew about MTN:
1. It was formerly known as M-Cell.
2. It is operating in Asia and European countries as well as in Africa.
3. It is the eight largest mobile network operator in the world.
4. It was founded in 1994.
5. Some of the countries MTN operates include Afghanistan, Yemen and Iran.
6. In 2008 Airtel tried to acquire MTN.
7. On 22nd October 2015, MTN emerged as the Most Admired and the Most Valuable African brand, valued at US$4.672m.
8. MTN sold it’s Cyprus branch to Monaco Telecom for €260 million in July 2018.
9. On 18th March 2010, it was announced that MTN signed a sponsorship deal with English football club Manchester United F.C.
10. Turkey’s Turkcell in 2012 filed a $4.2 billion lawsuit in Washington, D.C, alleging the company used bribery to win a mobile licence in Iran that was first awarded to Turkcell.
11. MTN has the highest number of Subscribers in Nigeria approx. over 35% of their total amount of customers.. MTN has more customers in Nigeria than in South Africa where the company was founded. (Nigeria has about 64 million subscribers compare to South Africa as at 31st December 2019).